Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

On my mind...the craft group, Sisters Of Stitch...


Today, being Friday, means that I'm joining in with Rhonda Jean's  here Friday feature, "On my mind'

On my mind today is the group, ‘Sisters of Stitch’ which I joined in February this year.  On Thursday, Rhonda wrote about a Craft afternoon at the local neighbourhood centre that she would be conducting.
 Rhonda wrote, ‘Craft is such a wonderful way to bring people together. It can be a bridge between older and younger women who want to learn various needle crafts, it is the vehicle that transports the household crafts our great grandmas used to decorate their homes and clothe their families to us to use in a modern way, and it brings people together to teach and learn in a way few other activities can.

I have been intending to write a post about SOS for ages and Rhonda’s post is a great ‘springboard’ for that. Our group meets every second Wednesday at the Chermside library from 1.30 to 4 pm. This is a great venue as so many bus routes stop nearby and many of the older women don’t drive so depend on public transport.
The woman who co-ordinates the group, Judi, does a great job of making everyone feel welcome. We were both having a treatment at a small private hospital also in Chermside way back in February and recognised each other as former workmates at a north-side school. Judi was tatting, to while away the hours of her treatment and she told me it was a newish skill for her which she learned from an older lady.
Early birds. We have a large area for our session; actually 2 rooms with a wall pushed back
 She told me about the group and invited me along to the next meeting. She explained the group as being a place to take whatever craft you are happening to be working on, and enjoy a natter and a sharing of ideas at the same time.  Some of the ladies make items for charities and other groups, such as Memory Quilts for babies who die before, during or just after birth, quilts for Project Linus, and since I’ve been a member there have been challenges to collect items for flood victims.

Kath, the lady in pink, I already knew because she was a stallholder at the Stafford Heights markets.


Carin, the lady in the red top is another knitter; she knits garments but appreciates my throws. We are a mutual admiration society I guess! lol
There is a ‘show and tell’ session each meeting with lots of ‘oohs and aahs’ when we see such beautiful items.

Judi, holding my friend Cheryl's little embroidered bag, during 'Show and tell.

People come and go in the group; some familiar faces are there each Wednesday, others we only see occasionally. There is a wonderful camaraderie in the group and lots of sharing of ideas and techniques.  Some of the crafts which people do at SOS include, embroidery, petit point, red work, patchwork and quilting, cross stitch, various types of appliqué, knitting, crocheting and tatting.

Cheryl, http://blissintheburbs-kayly.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-bag.html wearing her crocheted cardi; the first garment she has ever crocheted! :-)

The all important afternoon tea trolleys; we take turns bringing in 'goodies' for afternoon tea.
I really enjoy being part of this group and I try to make sure I don't 'double-book' myself; I keep those Wednesday afternoons free!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Being creative is definitely food for the soul. It's great that you are able to share this time with lot's of other people. I know I am a lot happier person when I allow myself time to be creative. One day I hope I will find the time to join a group too.

viggie said...

Looks like so much fun :)

Becky said...

That sounds WONDERFUL!