Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Another busy Saturday...

My day started early today. I got up at 5.30 so I could ice some patty cakes that I made last night for our church Christmas craft market today. I also wanted to make and ice a slice for this afternoon.

When I arrived at the church just before 7.30, the stall holders were busy setting up in the hall, the courtyard and in the actual church itself. I was part of the team who were setting up the morning teas. It wasn't long though before we had some customers...stallholders who wanted a cuppa and plate of goodies before the 'rush' started. My friend Carmen brought her husband Dave along and he nicely volunteered to cut up several kgs of onions ready for the BBQ. It was a case of 'wish I'd known'....I would have brought along my 'V-slicer' to make Dave's job much easier. Some of the onions were so strong that people on the other side of the kitchen had eyes stinging!





In one of the lull periods I went for a little wander around the stalls and bought some nice gifts for people on my list. There was some beautiful jewellery made by a friend, Erica Long, as well as a number of stalls with beautiful handsewn items, including some made by Erica's mum, Margaret. Many of the stall holders who go to the Stafford Heights markets were there. There were also stalls with other handcrafted items, as well as divine cakes, jams, preserves and some plants. I ran out of money before I'd finished browsing; no credit facilities and that's part of the charm. I have plans to contact some of the stallholders and order some items that I think will be excellent presents.

This afternoon we went to the wedding of my BIL, Gary. DH and I were the witnesses, a cousin was the celebrant and the family and friends of the couple had the most delightful afternoon in a suburban backyard of Brisbane. The bride's 4 children walked their mum down the aisle (the back steps) and then we had a very short ceremony due to the ill-health of the bridegroom. A chair had been put ready for him to sit on should he need too...with sheer determination he stood for the ceremony and then signed the documents...the 2 strokes left him unable to write but he has practised and practised until he could print his name. Naturally a sadness underlies this celebration today but we all had a great time with lots of laughing and joking...





There was a circus in the park next door!

1 comment:

Naturally Carol said...

You have had a busy time today..and plenty of fun too. I absolutely love church fairs and the amazing crafts and all the edible goodies at such a good price. Have a lovely week.