Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Brisbane's River Festival....

It doesn't seem that long ago that 'going to the city' was a common event. I don't mean just for work (although my work was usually in the suburbs) but going into the city for shopping and entertainment. Nowadays I make very few trips into the city but decided a few weeks ago that maybe we should go and see the laser light display which was part of the River Festival. This festival replaced the Warana quite a few years ago and features many cultural events at a number of venues throughout the city. The light show was on each night of the festival and was centred around a barge moored in the Brisbane River, near Southbank. 

DH and I left home not long after 6pm and found a free park in a back street in Sth Brisbane :-). We then walked to Southbank via the walkway along the river. 

Walking along the southern bank of the river; Kurilpa footbridge linking the city to West End is on the lefthand side of the photo. The north bank of the river is obscured by the freeway
People were gathered along the river; some sitting on the grassy slopes of the bank, others were sitting on the low walls that separated the Southbank concourse from the river path.  DH and I were early enough to get a 'spot' on one of these walls (although it was a struggle for me to hoist myself up as the wall was a bit high for me :-) ) We had to wait a while but eventually the show started; the laser show was accompanied by music. 


There were pumps on the barge which pumped up river water and sprayed it into the air...the laser lights then shone through the spray

There were laser beams being beamed from the top of some of the buildings on the northside...hard to get a shot of them though....


Lots of colour and reflections...


The light on the water sprays and then other lights that seemed to curve and 'duck and dive'...

The light show may not have been as spectacular as the one in Hong Kong, but it was pretty good all the same. The crowd consisted  mainly of  family groups and the children all seemed to love it! At one stage I looked around and saw all these little 'squares of light'...people with phones and digital cameras taking photos or video footage of the lights. By then I'd put my camera away so I could just sit and enjoy the show.

2 comments:

Becky said...

OH what fun!

Tanya Murray said...

I think these free events are great. I had no idea that Warana had folded though.