Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A little 'stuffed car' and a bit of Show and Tell...

On Monday morning, with my little Micra all loaded up with knitting yarns, I headed off to the Scarborough Knit and Natter.
First of all I picked up 2 bags of donations from a lady at Kedron ( another northern suburb not far from us).  This lady had seen the 'Sunsuper interview' with Karen, the founder of K4BN, and remembered us when she  was preparing/emptying  her parents' house for sale...her mum had quite a lot of yarn!

 Here are the 2 big bags on the back seat of my car....


The boot of the car was already loaded up too....
Two days before, DH and I had driven out to a friend's place who was also clearing his mum's house ready for sale. Our friend had rung me on Saturday offering his mother's yarns for the group. I had decided to give the crochet cottons to people in my Sisters of Stitch group who do fine crochet and I took the container at the back of the photo to Scarborough...it was very heavy and 'stuffed' with all kinds of yarn. (The other container has some knitted shapes that I will sew together and give back to our friend as a memento of Nonna)

So this was in my boot/trunk...

Under my knitting bag on the left is another big mauve plastic bag filled with donations given to me by another  member. On the right are some bags sewn by a friend of my SIL as well as some items made by me and ready to hand in...
When I arrived at Scarborough the others were already helping put lollipops into the little mini Christmas stockings that members have been making .... Karen had bought 10 big bags of these sweets but we still ran out after only filling 200...so it will be back to the shop for Karen's husband I guess!

Here are some of the filled stockings ready to be handed out at Christmas functions for the needy. So many organisations have had funding cuts this year and cannot afford to give out small presents as well as providing food for their Christmas party. Groups like ours are making up the short fall by providing these little gifts.
I took some photos while we had a little bit of Show and Tell with some of the donations; in particular some beautifully knitted sweaters from a member's sister. (Warning: photo overload!) lol





The sweaters/jumpers just seem to keep coming...there were so many!

















As well as all these jumpers, there were also some rugs/blankets....

This colourful and cheerful blanket was made by Angela ....

Robyn, on the right, made a bag to put this rug that she made,in. She said that from now on she is going to make a bag for every rug/blanket that she makes as it will help use up her fabric stash! lol

One more photo to share with you...one of the members knits these gorgeous little outfits....'pleated' skirt, jumper and beanie....very special!



One last photo taken from a Norwegian blog site ...I can just imagine my 'Mitzy Micra' decked out like this! :-)



6 comments:

Dorothy said...

Good to see such wonderful donations. Love the little set in the last picture. xoxox

Jill Butler Design said...

Wow you've all been so busy! It must be very satisfying being a part of a group like this, knowing you are contributing to your community. Love the car! I want hub caps like that!

Glenda said...

What a lot of yarn!!!!!!!!! in all those donations. I think the little knitted Xmas stockings will bring a smile to lots of faces. Where do all the jumpers go to?????? Love love the little girls skirt jumper and hat. But far to hot for up here in Tropical Cairns. Cheers Glenda

duchess_declutter said...

Some talented people out there aren't there Maria - and generous too.
Your little car must have been jam packed with all those goodies! Why don't you try yarn bombing, as in the photo?
cheers Wendy

Unknown said...

Great to see others cast offs being put to good use!

Unknown said...

Haha! Can you imagine what the car would look like if it rained? The mind boggles! Maa