Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Yet again! I've been sorting through those boxes of photos

If you remember, one of my goals to work on after I retired, was to work my way through the boxes (and boxes) and albums of photos that I seemed to have amassed over the years. My idea was that I would sort the photos into different categories and then scan the photos to make digital albums. There would be a copy kept on our portable hard drive and then there would be copies stored in either my Facebook account and/or my Box account. The latter 2 methods of storage mean that there is yet other copies which can be retrieved from any computer not just ours. The Facebook album of my mother's family has been brilliant for all the younger  members of our extended family as they can copy photos for themselves.  

One lot of photos that I've been putting aside for quite a while and have quite a pile, were photos taken at functions and celebrations at our church. The other day I had fun scanning and putting together a digital album of a concert we had in 1992 to raise funds...and we had lots of fun!

 Everyone helped in some way...

In the kitchen...





These lovely ladies were even having fun with the washing up!
There was a wonderful buffet table in the kitchen and one of the cheeky players  was  getting up close and personal  to one poor fellow...




Some of our young parishioners provided musical items...





There were recitations...

Peta performed a dramatic and moving rendition of 'The Man from Ironbark' 


This lady was a lecturer in the English Department of the University of Queensland...before this she worked as a teacher aide at the school where I worked, and she wrote pantomimes for my Year 7 Drama Club...
 Then we had an item from 'Les Mis'. Adrianna is still involved with music now in her middle 20s


The ladies guild worked on an act too...a medley of songs from 'My Fair Lady'... lots of rehearsals for that!

Waiting in the Sunday School room waiting for our item to be announced...


After Intermission we had 2 melodramas. The casts in these had just a few rehearsals due to work commitments...but that made it even more hilarious!
Melodrama # 1
3 'school girls' and their headmistress wait for their cues...Act 1





Cath, the Head Mistress, walks amongst the tables with her long list...

Then it was a quick change out of the sports uniform into the white outfit to play the poor heroine who was being forced against her will to marry the evil Jasper Jellybags, the villain of the piece!  But like all melodramas, after a lot of 'hamming it up' from the players and booing and hissing from the audience, it all came out right at the end. :-)
Phew! We're nearly at the end of the drama now, having survived forgotten lines  by one cast member  who then ad libbed and jumped a whole page of the script...and that page had my character's funny lines  too! sigh...
Melodrama #2
Father Neville organised this in friendly opposition to our Melodrama#1! They had had less rehearsals than us...and it showed! lol But young Peta was brilliant as Poppy the poor heroine....

The holey stockings were a nice touch! lol

Peta's mum, Pat, and Father Neville were the villains...
There were heaps of other musical items and also some dancing. It was a great night and it's been fun to 'look back'. 

2 comments:

Maria said...

SEw many fun memories Maria...

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Maria, My computer crashed a couple of years ago and I lost all my photos. Great idea to keep them in more than one place. Thanks for visiting and leaving a sweet comment. Happy New Year!
xx, Sherry