Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Friday Night with Friends...

I had great plans for last night...but I ended up doing just a modest amount of knitting and a lot more dozing in front of the TV. I felt really tired and I wonder whether it was because yesterday I went to a memorial service for a friend's husband and felt so sad for her as he had died very suddenly. The service went for 2 1/2 hours and the chairs seem to become very uncomfortable after the first hour and my poor old back was aching. Any way, no more excuses, let's see what I did achieve last night...tiny progress it may be!

Last FNSI, I had been working on a mohair throw (made with oddments so like a scrap quilt in effect! lol) which was close to completion; in fact I stated in that post that I thought it would all be finished and on the way to its new owner within the week...Wrong!!! lol All the mohair strips had been sewn together since then, plus 2 border strips in a soft black pure wool have been completed and sewn on...

The last 2 black strips are longer than the other 2, but by Thursday night, I had completed one.
It looks dark grey in the photo but is actually black...


So last night I cast on and started to knit the 4th border strip...it's boring knitting even if it does grow quite quickly...:-) By the end of the evening, I had not done very much...so I will just 'plod' on until it's the right length.


While I was taking these photos I thought that I might as well take photos of some of the patterned squares in this throw. the throw is made with oddments of mohair yarns and the 'fancy' squares are all examples of slip stitch. Remember, slipstitches are very easy to do and only one colour is used in each row...they look more complicated than they really are.

The stitches are made by carrying the yarn in front of the work...
 Nice and easy...3 colour

This is the same waffle slip stitch that I used in 'Not Quite 50 Shades with Grey'.


This one came out of a 1980s publication called Silver Needles


.  
This photo is on its side! This was a new slip stitch design that I tried and I would use it again. but adjust the number of stitches to compensate for the 'pulling in' of the knitting
 The next square is a 3 colour slip stitch but the photo doesn't do justice to the colours that I used.


The next one is great for using up scraps of yarn...

The next one is a 3 colour tweed slip stitch...

Good old 'Honeycomb' next...always looks good!

Another wavy slip stitch square...

The next one also uses 3 colours...

If any readers would like instructions for any of these slip stitch designs just leave a comment to that effect. I'm more than happy to share. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your friends husband. Hope you are feeling much better now.
I am absolutely blown away by your knitting. These squares are quite beautiful. Such a wonderful variety, choice of colours and intricate patterns.
I am sure the recipient will be thrilled.

Susan said...

I love all these stitches - I am almost tempted to start a scrap piece like that - but I think it would end up as a UFO and I do not need more of them!

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Obviously you needed the break, good to see that you got a little done.

Maria said...

You must have needed the rest and you did get something done.