Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A room with a view; some more of my stay at Mater 'Mirage...

On Day 2 of my stay, Mary Anne the Director of Nursing on Floor 10, came to visit me. She gave me the news that I would be leaving my room with the curtain walls, and going into a private room. So DH and one of the nurses gathered up my possessions and an orderly pushed my bed along the corridor to my new 'home away from home'. I had a much bigger space, easy chairs, my own ensuite and a view!

On Day 3, I felt a lot lot better and took some photos. I had discovered that the blinds are in the double glazing and could not be raised, just the slats angled, so the photos have these lines across...

Looking South East

Other buildings in the Mater Complex

I was fascinated by the lovely buildings in Stanley Street, over the road from the hospital

One of the big carparks...and a glimpse of a white church steeple in the distance


Bit of zoom here to get the lovely workers cottages and at least one big Queenslander (house) with a backdrop of the Princess Alexandra Hospital...

Bit closer to some of those quaint old homes
 Part of my work with the physios was mainly with being able to keep my lungs healthy...

 A young Canadian student physio called Brian, looked after me. He gave me this gadget which I had to use once an hour. It made me laugh a bit! I've got to be quite proficient 'blowing into the bag' for the random breath tests the local police conduct at all times of the day...


 But with this gadget required me to suck in air like a straw and get the balls to rise to the top...Brian said I only had to get the orange balls moving upwards but with sheer determination I also got that black one up to the top a few times too! :-)  Brian also showed me how to get out of bed without damaging the 'repairs', how to handle coughs and sneezes and supervised walking up and down stairs, as well as some other exercises which were similar to those that you do on long flights. 

It wasn't all work...I had time for a little sit down with my crocheting...


This is another view of my room...on the right is the monitor/TV screen which could be swivelled around into a amazing number of positions. Where it is in the photo is from when I was checking emails etc as it was a whole entertainment package with internet, Free to air TV, Foxtel, Radio, Music, etc
 This photo was taken later in the day; take note of the brick building in the centre of the photo...in particular the roof...

Here's a closer look...it's actually the helicopter pad. None landed during my stay...

Now Mater Private has taken a different approach to feeding the patients...

You selected what you wanted from the menu and then rang Room Service... my breakfasts of poached eggs on toast were delicious... my lunch time steak sandwich was yummy, as was my baked salmon and steamed vegies for dinner. I also had fruit bowls for dessert. But my Asian Stir Fry for Thursday's dinner was extremely ordinary. You waited 45 minutes for each order.


The downside of this system as far as I am concerned is that water, tea and coffee have to be ordered up and take 45 minutes. I missed the old tea trolley coming mid morning and afternoon and supper time. I hesitated to order  just a cuppa and cheese and biscuits, and I didn't. If I get a chance to fill out a survey I'll suggest that filtered water be available in the wards and also tea and coffee making facilities. (the water in the tap of the bathroom basin was perfectly okay as I had to resort to using it when I hadn't ordered enough bottles)
I took a photo of this section of the menu because this is all Dr Cheung would allow me at the end of  Day 1. I chose the consomme...bad choice! It was yucky!! lol

That's enough about food...now a photo of sartorial elegance! After I became ambulatory, my 'cricket pads' were removed, just leaving the traditional compression socks. My DD2 and brother 'cacked up' at the sight of me in these which I think was unnecessarily cruel of them. lol (the alternative is unthinkable; my late mother's lifestyle change so much because of a pulmonary embolism after an operation)
DH is now in charge of getting these stockings back on after my showers.


On Friday I was discharged in the morning rather than the expected late afternoon as my doctor was pleased with my progress.
While I waited for DH to bring the car to the front entrance, I looked around the front reception area; looking up I saw this beautiful stained glass skylight...

Another view of the lobby

Some art work in the reception lobby area...
It was amazing how tired I got in the drive home, but friends had warned me this would be the case. Any way I'm enjoying being home and DH has stepped up well taking over domestic matters. I lounge on the sofa, have a nanna nap on the bed, sit on the deck and enjoy the breezes, I walk around the house doing the exercise suggested for this first week home. I also enjoy being called to the table where my cooked meal is waiting for me! Yesterday afternoon, I started casting on stitches for a new chevron throw...I'm slower than normal but today I managed to set the pattern on row 2 so the brain 'fog' is starting to clear. Stay tuned....

4 comments:

Susan said...

all progress is good - interesting how they do the food these days. Im not sure that cup of tea or coffee would be too hot by the time it got to you.

Dorothy said...

Another very interesting post Maria. The Mater has really upped the ante as far as hospitals go .. room service is a bit fancy !! Looking forward to the next building update. Brad should just about be finished by now ??

angela said...

I'm glad your feeling so well. Remember to take it easy and tell hubby he is doing a wonderful job often. They love that

Anonymous said...

You do write some interesting posts Maria. And this is one of them. I love your attention to detail.
Hope you are feeling better every day.