Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

An unexpected outing...

On Monday, DH ended up taking Eduardo the cat, and I out for a short drive later in the morning...it all started like this...
DH reported that the cat had not eaten the dry food that he had put out for him early that morning; Eduardo had ignored the food and just stayed curled up on the chair on the veranda. Now this is the cat who starts up his cacophony of piteous meowing as soon as he hears footsteps in the morning.
I checked him and he was quite listless. I checked for ticks and then for any wounds etc from a possible catfight early in the morning. I didn't find anything.

The next step was the 'chicken test'. I got some uncooked chicken from the freezer and shaved off some pieces...let them thaw and then offered them to him. He wasn't interested, so I knew something was wrong. You know the old saying about 'walking across hot coals'? Well Eddie would certainly do that for raw chopped up chicken! lol   So I rang the vet and organised an appointment at 11 am.
(Now through all of this, DH thought I was overreacting and that the cat had just had a 'hard night' and would be perfectly fine but because he loves me 'he went along with how things were going').

So the cat carrier was brought upstairs by DH, taken out of its covering bag, dusted and a towel put on the base. Unlike other cats I've had, Eduardo did not sneak away when he saw the carrier, lol. So that's how I had my outing...DH drove us to the next suburb to the veterinarian practice that I have been taking my pets to for years, although the original owners have sold up and retired for quite a while now...


We had to wait about 10 minutes, so Eduardo 'sang' in his carrier...




That's bags of expensive dry food for dogs in that unit in the waiting room...


The vet checked him over very thoroughly; also taking blood and urine samples and checking his temperature. I noted that the vet looked between the cat's toes, looking for ticks there too...I didn't realise that ticks could be there as well as the more obvious places! The vet could find no ticks and no cat bites or scratches that had been infected. Eddie's kidneys were fine but two sore spots were found on Eduardo's back. Shane, the vet, decided to treat Ed with an anti-inflammatory drug and gave the cat a dose straight away.
While DH put eduardo in the car, I just had to take a photo of the bougainvillea growing over the fence of the front carpark at the vets..


Within an hour of getting home Eduardo was back to normal, walking around, eating etc. Phew! And that evening I took this photo of him looking rather smug sitting on the sofa...on the rug I made years ago especially for DH...Eduardo thinks the rug is his! lol



5 comments:

Vireya said...

Glad Eduardo is feeling better, but I wonder if he just wanted some attention! Perhaps he thinks people are paying too much attention to you as you recover, and now it is his turn?

I know one or two humans who "get sick" when their wives are ill. Don't know enough about cats to really know if they would try that on.

Susan said...

I'm glad Eduardo is better - they can be touchy little critters.

Sue Niven said...

I am glad he is feeling better now, they do worry you at times! Love the bougainvillea

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bougainvillea.
If I come back as a cat - I'm coming to live at your house!. Pleased that Eduardo is ok.

thulannguyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.