Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

So what have I been reading lately?

A little while ago I read a newspaper feature about an amazing man called Robert Hoge. Robert had been born with an enormous tumor on his face, where his nose should have been and his legs had not properly formed either. Robert had written a book about his life experiences and I decided that I would buy an electronic version and store it on my iPad.


I resisted reading it as I planned to 'keep' it for my convalescence, But while we were up the coast, I started to read it...and I kept on reading it; I couldn't 'put it down'. I was impatient to get to the part where Robert met his first wife.
After I had seen the original article I discovered that one of my friends from Knitting for Brisbane's Needy, Sue, was actually Robert's first wife! Needless to say, I read the book very quickly and was humbled by what that man endured, his amazing positive attitude and his achievements. I loved the book!!

Sue is second on the left. her mum Laraine is on her right...

Previously, Sue had given us notice of the TV program, Australian Story, aired on September 16, 2013, which featured Robert's life and showed all the operations that he endured,and all the difficulties and obstacles he overcame to become a successful journalist, writer, speech writer, science communicator for the CSIRO and political advisor to the former Queensland Premier and Deputy Premier. What a CV that man has!
For more about Rob try this site. Or Rob's webpage here

And this is what DH is reading at the moment...another autobiography. And apparently, Petero grew up in Redcliffe just like William McGuiness. 



So that's what DH and I have been reading...

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Glad to hear your op went well, take it easy and have a speedy recovery.

Lin said...

Sounds like a fascinating book and an exceptional man. xx

Susan said...

I've just bought an ipad - that might be my first e-book that I purchase - sounds very interesting.
Hope you are progressing well....

Anonymous said...

Dear Maria. Pleased that you are on the mend.
I checked out your links about Robert Hoge. Thank you for featuring this book. Not only about an extraordinary man but also an amazing family. I have to read the book.