Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2014

Plymouth...what a beautiful city!


After Portsmouth, DH and I headed for Plymouth. What a beautiful city! We stayed in a 
Lovely hotel that was over 300 years old and a short distance from the famous Plymouth Hoe. 
On our first night in Plymouth, we took the suggestion of the hotel staff and went to the Arts' Centre to see the movie, Monuments Men, followed by supper in the restaurant upstairs...it was a great evening!

The next day DH and I walked up the hill from our hotel to the famous Plymouth Hoe, an amazing area full of history which is above the cliffs on the coast line. It features a huge swathe of parkland as well as walkwaysxwhichbrun along the coastline. The Spanish Amada was spotted from the Hoe spurring Sir FrancoscDrake into action all those centuries ago...
The bowling club which is on the way to the Hoe has a lovely display of daffodils

The Plymouth Hoe features a huge swathe of grass...

Looking back at the hotels across the road from the Plymouth Hoe...


The original Eddystone Lighthouse is now part of the Hoe area...
Looking down from the Hoe at the right...
 
The statue of Sir Francis Drake is one of a number of statues and memorials in the Hoe...

Another view across the grass...

Looking out to sea...
A self explanatory sign...

The Hoe features a huge public pool but it's not opened yet...it's not even filled yet! Lol


Looking down  from the left hand side

As we walked down along the sea wall , we saw an old cannon...a perfect back drop for a photo for DH...
After we walked down the path from the Hoe, we walked on until we came to the waterfront where we found the Mayflower Steps. The Mayflower was the shipbthatvcarriedctge first European settlers to America and they left from this wharf...they boarded the ship, 'Mayflower' by climbing down these steps! 

1620... Now that's a long time ago!


A bit of history for Australia...we saw this plaque on a hotel wall nearvthecwaterfront...




And then we walked through the charming Barbican area of quaint shops and cafés...




There was even a gin distillery in the Barbican area...
A photo taken later in the day looking towards the Plymouth Hoe...


Another lovely morning spent discovering so much history...

5 comments:

Susan said...

Such a lot of history, yes, as you say Maria. Scrolling through your post that's what was jumping out at me.
Again, I'm so thrilled to be viewing all those lovely sights through your photos. I love lighthouses and that one is a beauty.
Plymouth has that real connection to Australia - all those voyages left from there... where you were walking around taking photos today.
Just brilliant :D)

Una said...

Plymouth is another area I seem to have missed out on. Your photos make me want to take a day trip there this year. The steps are really interesting. I love seeing history surviving today.

Cath said...

I am loving following your trip Maria even while I am documenting my own recent trip on my Blog. I am just not commenting often due to it being fiddly on my iPad.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Vireya said...

Reading your blog is almost as good as being there myself!

Janice said...

I love Plymouth, and my bigamist grandfather was born there ! I have stayed in a hotel very close to the one you stayed in...and isn't it a lovely walk up to the Hoe. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time there. I just hope you get to see some of the English spring, with some blue skies and sunshine. ( Or maybe some Welsh sunshine ) Jx