Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Victoria and Albert Museum, London

On Friday afternoon we made our way to this iconic London Museum. We walked from the station via a long, long subway to one of the entries. The hall that we found ourselves in, featured some wonderful works of the sculptor, Rodin. 
 
We wanted to use the cloakroom and the one nearest the entrance we had come in, was actually closed. So we were directed through the museum shop to the cloakroom near the main entrance. While DH handed in our coats and his knapsack I just 'drooled' (greatly admired) over this beautiful foyer and a magnificent glass sculpture hanging from the ceiling...


More photos of this magnificent building...



Look at that beautiful ceiling...

Looking down towards the other end of the gallery hall...


I was quite taken with the abbreviation ....

Unfortunately my favourite collection that I saw on this visit was difficult to photograph because of low light and reflections on the glass fronts of each display. It was Textiles and Fashion and featured fashion through the last 400 years. 
The clothes were all magnificent and I adored the clothes that represented the mid 30s through to the 40s; the details on the clothes were wonderful. I also loved the display for the 1960s...especially the Mary Quant designs. 
A feature of V and A is the constant changing of exhibits and I suspect that  the lifts that were barricaded off, preventing us going up to Textiles on the 3rd level , were because they were working on exhibits. 

After a lovely afternoon tea in the Morris Room, DH and I explored outside...which is also beautiful.


I turned around and took this photo of the carvings above the door leading outside to the pond area..

The pond...


This building peeps above the V&A museum...

DH and I went inside to check out the shop and have one more look at a sculpture that had impressed us with its emotions/expressions. It is entitled 'Samson killing the Philistine' by Giambologna who was one of the sculptors who 'worked' for the Medici family.
 
So that's how we spent another couple of hours in London.

5 comments:

Susan said...

... and those hours were well spent Maria. Thanks for the link, I shall enjoy seeing those fashions.
I was intrigued at how paddling is allowed in the pool - that's nice :D)

Vireya said...

So did you paddle? With your clothes on?

I would love to see the V&A. Thank you for the glimpses of it. Of course I'd be heading straight to the textiles area if I got the chance!

Marit Johanne said...

An impressive building! The txtiles and fashion exhibition must have been great. I will look more at the link about it, it looks very interesting.

Sue Niven said...

What a wonderful day! thanks for sharing, I will check out the link right now!

Lin said...

I do love the V&A Maria - probably my most favourite museum. There is so much there that you can alwys find something new and their special exhibitions are always so well done. xx