Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Some more of 'sometimes it's the little things, that mean a lot...'

On Monday, I decided to use the sprinkler, attached to the tap on our water tank, to water parts of our garden that were suffering from the dry period we have been experiencing here lately. A magpie was checking out the lawn and garden beds looking for grubs...I thought that he would fly away when I turned on the sprinkler as he was standing just near it...
But no...he stood there enjoying a 'shower'. I realise that birds can't smile but this magpie sure looked really happy. He/she stood there and then when the feathers were all drenched, he/she puffed out the chest and then then flicked the water off by raising his/her wings. 


Then my magpie friend flew up on to the fence where the spray still reached...
And then a turn to face the other way to 'wash' the feathers on the back!

The magpies that visit our yard are delightful visitors with their personalities.

Another little thing that happened to me concerned some plants; in particular some succulents that I planted in some latte type mugs as they were surplus (the mugs not the plants, lol) to requirements but  I could see their potential as plant containers. Earlier this year I planted little pieces of succulents that I have in our garden...


DsD2 agreed to take the plants to her place while we were away and give them a fine mist of water every now and then,and generally look after them.She brought them back last Sunday...


As you can see, they are thriving! And I think DsD2 and her husband might be fans of succulents now too! 

5 comments:

Lin said...

Those little plants have done really well. xx

Anonymous said...

lovely post Maria.xx

Sue (this n that) said...

I do love your visiting Magpie - and what a treat to see what happened.
I bet he/she gave you a beautiful song after the shower.
Mmm, yes, I too love succulents - their sheer independence and hardiness. They give us flowers as well :D)

Susan said...

those succulents have done so well!
and very handy to have your camera when watering the garden....

Vireya said...

Nice to see the happy magpie. Those succulents look very well cared for.