Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another development in the street...

When DH and I arrived back home from overseas in early May, there was a Notice of Proposed Development sign on the two houses across the road. The renter in the house directly opposite had to vacate that property by the end of June. In late July the owner started clearing trees on the site. I 'had my eye' on some bromeliads which grew beside one house. I felt guilty about just going over and taking some, and the owner/developer seem to be popping by at all different times but I hadn't had the courage to ask if I could have the plants.

Then early one morning I heard trucks outside, so quickly got dressed and grabbed the camera as I thought that the demolition was about to start.

I called out to the owner, 'So today is the day is it'? He replied that the equipment was just to flatten the garden beds between the 2 houses...so I then asked if he minded if I took some bromeliads. He didn't but suggested I be quick about it before the machinery was unloaded. So a quick trip back home to get some gardening gloves and a plastic bag...
 I grabbed an armful and all have been planted in various spots around our garden

The garden bed on the other side of the house was left untouched, so quite early next morning ,while dressed in my nightie and dressing gown, I went back and got an armful of agave plants...DH was inside watching the golf on TV so no photos that time! lol
These plants will remind me of Phillip the young man who rented the house for 6 or so years and was a landscape gardener and really made the yard of the rented house look lovely.

Both houses will be demolished and 7 houses will be built on each block. So dust and noise for a long time yet.
Those who followed the saga of the 7 new houses next door to us...they are all available for rent. Only 1 has been rented at $510 per week. The rumour on the street is that the unrented ones are now offering lower rent of $470 p/w...no renters equals no returns for all those new owners. 

8 comments:

Noela said...

Looks like you will be surrounded with these units soon Maria. They have made some interesting posts to read. Look forward to the next installment. Hugs.....

Vireya said...

Glad you rescued some plants!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Glad you were able to rescue some broms and agave.

It's sad to see neighborhoods change sometimes. New is not always better. It looks like we get to watch right along with you once again. It will be better for you this time since it's across the street and not right next door.

Have a good week ~ FlowerLady

Dorothy said...

Looking forward to the progress pics of the new building across the road. Good on you for getting those plants - Phillip obviously would have loved them so I reckon he'd be very pleased that you're now looking after them. xox

duchess_declutter said...

Gosh Brisbane rentals are high aren't they - particularly when I think of size of those houses when being built next to you. No wonder they are having trouble renting them. What a shame all is change around you. Maybe a few more o/seas trips are in order Maria? Pleased you manage to rescue some plants from demolition at least. cheers Wendy

Susan said...

Glad you were able to scoop up some plants - I think this will probably keep happening...your street is going to get noisier and busier. That rental figure sounds high, not that I am any expert on rental prices these days.

Lin said...

Such a shame to flatten a garden that someone has lovingly looked after. Glad you were able to rescue some plants. If the first lot of houses havnt rented then it seems odd to be building more! xx

Becky said...

OH YUCK! I don't think I could stay in that neighbourhood with so many people all crammed in to such a little space. I'm glad you were able to get some plants.