Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Ruffle scarves...

Of late in my life, these scarves have come to the fore...just a coincidence, mind you. 
Firstly, at the last Sisters of Stitch meet a fortnight ago, Elizabeth, one of the regulars there, presented me with a bag of these lovely scarves to hand on to K4BN. Elizabeth commented that she finds knitting these scarves rather addictive but she has run out of people to give them to...

The lovely scarves made by Elizabeth...
At the same SoS meetup, another member, Morag, brought in over 130 balls of yarn that she had bought from Spotlight for 10 cents each...a majority of the yarn was the mesh from which the ruffle scarves are made...all the same colours, maroon with a gold fleck. Morag gave me 3 bags of this yarn to pass on to K4BN...which I did. 

The day after I received these scarves and yarn, a friend contacted me and asked if I could possibly make her a ruffle scarf...in red white and blue colourways preferably. This friend wanted to wear such a scarf to her Citizenship ceremony in September. Of course I agreed to make one for her and then embarked on the 'adventure' to find scarf yarn in that colourway. I went to a number of shops but without any luck. As a last resort I decided to try my luck at Lincraft. I wasn't hopeful because the week before when I was at Lincraft, they were selling the mesh yarn for 99c per ball and I expected it to be all gone. Well the shelves were very much depleted on this second trip but hallelujah! Yes there were some balls of red/white and blue. It just so happens that that colour scheme is a football team's colours, which worked in my favour!
So I knitted the scarf for Debbie and it has been sent on its way to her...

 The 'scarf saga' continues...on Saturday I visited some local markets. I was very taken with one stall...and one lady's use of the mesh ruffle scarf yarn...so much so that I bought one item...
A beautiful Christmas wreath! Beryl Warrington from Redcliffe, is the lady who made this and apparently the yarn is used to make a scarf and then the length of knitting is wrapped around a ring which has first been wrapped with batting or something similar.
Beryl also had made some beautiful shawl like collars, also made with the scarf yarn. I would have bought one of those too but I had already spent my cash on these items below which were on the stall near the entrance...



Thank you to all those who sent me best wishes for the problems with my forearms and wrists to be gone...the soreness had gone by Sunday night and I'm still racking my brains to come up with what triggered the discomfort of Friday and Saturday. ????

10 comments:

creations.1 said...

We now christen you 'The Scarf Lady'!!!lol What a lot of scarves. I love all of your purchases at the market - I cannot resist some new plants either. The wreath looks fantastic.

Una said...

I knitted some of these scarves a couple of years ago and gave them away as they weren't really "me". The wreath is a clever idea. Someone has a good imagination.

Maria said...

Wow lots of scarves there. Like Una I also knitted a few but gave them away as I don't wear scraves at all.
Like the wreath idea.
Nice new plants Maria

Mizumatte said...

oh Maria, you are a good friend. I got two similar scaeves from my aunt(living in Finland, so those are popular there too). I buy (too often) plants too and when posible on markets. take care Jaana

Janice said...

The Christmas wreath is brilliant ! I love it.

Lin said...

I love the wreath - great use of the scarf. xx

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

Love the wreath, a great idea. Good luck withe Bromelaids and other plants. Getting yarn at those prices is great.

Happy days.
Bev.

Noela said...

Love the wreath Maria. Sorry you have been unwell, glad your feeling better now. Hugs.....

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

The scarves are so pretty! My mom makes them too :)

-Soma

Cheryll said...

I would never have thought to use one of those scarves as a Christmas wreath... WOW...some people are just so creative!
Glad your wrist is better now too...