Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2015

It's that time again...

Yep! Tomorrow is my high school reunion meet up. For a number of years, my year level has met each year for a reunion. The numbers of attendees varies but each year we 'find' some more classmates. Our Grade 8 cohort numbered 200 and over half of these classmates have been traced. 
My high school opened in 1963 with one classroom block and an amenities block...When I started high school, a classroom block had been built to cater for the new Grade 8s.
Building work continued for many years as the school grew. The photo shows the A block which contained Admin as well as classrooms. 

But in the mid 1990s, the school was closed, the site sold and just over 50 homes were built on the land...
The next photo was taken from the primary school oval which was adjacent to the high school site and shows some of the houses in the development. 
So our beloved school is gone but the various year levels still have regular reunions...

My collage shows clockwise starting at top left, yours truly in my school uniform, complete with grey gloves and Panama hat. (Year 9) Next to that is my Grade 8 class photo, underneath that is a uniform on a mannequin. I wore that uniform in Grade 12 and yes somehow I had kept it :-/. Below that photo is the 2013 Maria at that reunion, and the last photo is my Grade 12 group photo.
Some 'new faces' will be at the reunion tomorrow as well as familiar friends. We are all in our 60s now but when we get together it's just like we are back in our teens again...some of the 'stories' have us roaring with laughter. 

3 comments:

Sue (this n that) said...

Have lots of fun catching up with everyone Maria :D)
You look lovely in your school uniform - oh gosh, it brings back memories all right!

Cynthia said...

You had nice uniforms, not the typical ones of our day with skirts and blouses that would not stay tucked in. It's nice you will be able to attend the reunion and share those stories of times past. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria I hope you have a fun time xx