Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

I've been in denial, but I'm ready to move on now...

A while ago I wrote a post with the subject, 'Medically Speaking' in which I commented that DH and I seemed to be seeing an awful lot of the inside of a couple of hospitals; Greenslopes P H for me and Holy Spirit Northside for him. I also mentioned having a Myocardial Perfusion  Study...these have tended to replace the old Stress Tests.
Well unfortunately this 3 hour procedure showed that the blood supply to parts of my heart is reduced...so my doctor then organised an Angiogram for me. 
An interesting and rather clever procedure, the angiogram is a 'probe' that is inserted in the femoral artery and it then snakes its way to the arteries of the heart. (DH's cardiologist prefers to use the wrist as a point of entry) The wire probe is of course equipped with a camera so that the medical staff can check for blockages and or narrowing of the arteries of the heart. I will admit it...the whole idea of this procedure frightened the day lights out of me! 
Dressed in the 'garb' ready for the Cath Lab, and shaved....
My charming footwear...

The results of the angiogram showed that I have narrowing in the arteries in 3 places...the worst one is a 50% narrowing. Apparently I should have severe angina pains, but I honestly don't. I was told that I have heart disease...and of course I went straight into denial...and didn't want to talk about it with anyone. 
Now 5 weeks later, I've moved through that stage...I still have plenty of energy to do my daily exercise; I can still walk up stairs and hills without any worry. The use of the CPAP machine has resulted In my having heaps more energy, which is wonderful :-). So life not too bad I reckon. So what does a girl do in such circumstances? Why...buy more Liberty fabric and sign up for 2 Liberty project swaps...that's what! Lol
Fabric from the UK...
Some more from a local business...

Hmmm...10% off my next purchase from Ava and Neve...
Two lots of Liberty from EBay...
Some 'scraps' of vintage Liberty...
And some more...
And some more; this time from the US...

So life goes on...and once again life is good! 

(My cardiologist will not put stents in the narrowed arteries as that would mean I would have to take a blood thinning drug for at least 12 months. I have a problem with 'storing iron' and each year I have an iron infusion to replenish iron levels...apparently the blood thinning drugs would cause problems) 

12 comments:

Anthea said...

Maria my friend, you've had a tough time... I wish I could give you a great big hug right now... & then we could have a cuppa together & look lovingly at your new fabrics!!

Denice Barker said...

Phew! What a journey you've been on.
I can't think of a better remedy than stroking new fabric. Stay healthy my friend.

Lin said...

mmmmm - yummy fabric. xx

Cynthia said...

Tough news to hear, but it's good to know so you can take the best actions and keep your health and active life. Thank goodness no pain, and no limits on quilting, eh?

Susan said...

Absolutely the right decision!!
Does a Myocardial Perfusion Study mean no more treadmill??
I thibk you've been getting your money's worth out of your medical insureance lately.

Christine M said...

Glad to hear you've now got plenty of energy, Maria. I'm sure that Liberty fabric will help you feel better!

Sue (this n that) said...

Just thinking back to when you decided to limit your intake of sugar - that was such a wise move. You were instinctively looking after yourself!
It's always such a jolt when given big news like that, and your denial for a little while, to get your head around it, is so understandable.
Good on you for ... well, getting on with it - it's all how things are approached in the mind too as well as physically.
I love all your new materials - have fun creating your beautiful works of art with them.
You're such a sweet person Maria, a real inspiration to so many and, yes, life is good! Hugs xx :D)

angela said...

Wishing you all the best. Just keep on going and with the doctors to guide you I'm sure you will be blogging for many years to come. Xxx

Nanette said...

Buying fabric is the very best displacement therapy there is....do tell what you're planning to make with all that yummy Liberty? Glad too that you're feeling good despite that news :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Maria Sorry to hear about your health issues. How stressful for you and your family. Thinking of you.
Jean x

Marit Johanne said...

It is not nice to get news like that. But when you know, you can take care and do what is best for your health problem. And I am sure that to get those lovely new fabrics and make plans for sewing is very good for you!
Hugs Marit

Mizumatte said...

sorry to read about your health problems but you way to see the life is good, those facrics are fabulous hugs Jaana